Are you watching?
Lauren Allison, Staff Writer
This past weekend was the closing ceremonies of the twenty-third Winter Games. This year the Olympics were held in PyeongChang, South Korea. A brand new Olympic stadium was built to host the Winter Games. The 35,000-seat stadium cost 109 million dollars to build. All of the venues used for competition were within 30 minutes of the stadium. The PyeongChang Olympic village can house up to almost 4000 athletes. This years Olympics hosted 102 events in 15 disciplines including curling, figure skating, snowboarding and ski jumping.
2,952 of the world’s best athletes from 92 countries competed in both individual and team sports trying their very best to walk away with a medal, while athletes from Singapore, Malaysia, Kosovo, Ecuador, Eritrea, Nigeria competed for medals for the first time. Norway came out on top with a total of 39 metals (14 gold, 14 silver and 11 bronze). While the United States, which included athletes from 31 states, recorded 23 total medals (nine gold, eight silver and six bronze).
This time of year is busy for students. Between classes, work, sports and other activities, it can be hard to find time to sit down and watch tv. Some people watch every event and can’t seem to get enough, while others aren’t that interested and don’t really care what is going on. So, did you watch the Olympics? The graph below is from a small population of students randomly asked around campus. Out of the population, 56 percent said yes that they were watching while 44 percent said that they weren’t.
Quotes from students:
- “I watched some of it, but mostly because of my roommates”
- “I didn’t have time to watch any of the events, I was up writing papers and doing homework”
- “ Of course I watched it! Mainly watching Canada play Hockey but my favorite sport is figure skating”
- “I watched as much of it as I could but it was hard to watch all of the events”
- “No I didn’t watch, sports don’t really interest me”
- “My favorite events to watch are the snowboarders and downhill skiing, those athletes are crazy!”
- “I saw a little but here and there but usually because it was on when I turned on the tv”